Green Card Eligibility
You may be eligible to apply for a Green Card Eligibility (permanent Address) complete your family, a job offer or employment, refugee or asylum status, or a number of other special requirements. In some cases, you may even be able to self-petition or have a record created for permanent address on your behalf. In general, to meet the requirements for permanent address in the United States (us) , you must:
- Be eligible for one of the immigrant categories established in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA)
- Have a qualifying immigrant petition filed and approved for you (with a few exceptions)
- Have an immigrant visa for us immediately Available?
- Be admissible to the United States (us)
Eligibility for an Immigrant Category
Individuals who need to become immigrants (permanent address) through their qualified family member, a job offer or employment, or a special category will generally be classified in categories based on a preference system. Excluding for immediate relatives of a U.S. citizen who are given the highest immigration priority and a few other exceptions, Congress has set a limited number of visas that can be used each year for each category of immigrants. The general categories are listed below. For extra specific information under each general category, see the links to the left.
People who need to become immigrants based on employment or a job offer may apply for permanent address or an immigrant visa for abroad, when an immigrant visa number becomes available according to the following employment based likings.
- First Preference:Priority Workers, including aliens with extraordinary abilities, unresolved professors & researchers, and certain worldwide executives and managers
- Second Preference:Associates of professions holding an advanced degree or persons of exceptional ability (including individuals looking for a National Interest Renunciation)
- Third Preference:Skilled Workers, professionals and other qualified workers
- Fourth Preference:Certain special immigrants including those in religious vocations
- Fifth Preference:Employment making immigrants (entrepreneurs)
For more info on green card eligibility through employment or a job offer, see our Green Card Through a Job page.