Green card Through Family
Who Is Eligible for Green Card Through Family ?
Some Family Relatives of U.S. citizens, known as immediate visa for relatives, do not have to wait for a visa to become available. There is no edge to the number of visas that can be utilized in this category in a specific year. Immediate relatives include:
- Parents of a U.S. citizen
- Spouses of a U.S. citizen
- Unmarried children under the age of 21years of a U.S. citizen
Note: U.S. citizens must be at least age of 21 years old to apply for their parents.
The qualified relatives of a U.S. citizen or permanent address in the remaining family-based categories may have to wait for a Family Based visa to become available before they can apply for permanent address. These categories include:
- First Preference:Unmarried, Children (21 years of age or older) sons and daughters of U.S. citizens
- Second Preference A:Spouses of permanent address and the unmarried children (under the age of 21) of permanent address
- Second Preference B:Unmarried sons and daughters (21 years or age or older) of permanent address
- Third Preference:Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, their spouses and their minor small children
- Fourth Preference:Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens, their spouses and their minor small children
For more information on green card suitability through a family member, see the “Green Card Eligibility Through Family” link to the left.